Thursday, January 30, 2014

Pumpkin Ravioli with Pumpkin Rosemary Sauce


It's been awhile, but I have been doing a little bit of cooking at home in Chicago. The reason that I haven't been cooking as much is because my Mom tends to make dinner for our family (she's an amazing cook) so there haven't been many days where I make my own meals. I'm totally spoiled. But occasionally I've had a chance to cook in the huge well stocked kitchen at out house. My first creation was Pumpkin Ravioli which my Mom bought specifically for me. The ravs were easy to cook, but finding a sauce was not. I wanted to create a fun (not horribly unhealthy) sauce to spice up the dish a bit. I raided the pantry and decided that I would make a sauce using sautéed shallots, pumpkin, Trader Joe's Apple Cider, Balsamic vinegar and rosemary. It was a bit of an experiment, but turned out pretty well. The texture was probably my least favorite thing about the sauce, but the sweet/tangy flavor was really good and unique.


Thoughts on this Recipe:

  • Firstly, here's the instructions for anyone who wants to try the sauce. a bit over 1/2 cup of pumpkin, 1/3 cup of apple cider, 1 chopped and sautéed shallot, 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (and as needed), rosemary as needed. Basically chop and sauté the shallots. add them to the pumpkin and cider on medium heat. Then add the balsamic and rosemary until you reach the desired balance of tart/sweet/rosemary.
  • I started the pasta right when I finished sautéing the shallots, and then made the sauce as the pasta was cooking. The timing worked out pretty well. 
  • Like I said I didn't love the texture of the sauce, I think it needed some milk or cream to make it a little more regular, but I didn't want to make a fattening cram sauce. I've got to brainstorm something that would fit here.
  • I would probably add more rosemary next time
A good attempt, not my favorite but I was proud of the creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment