Monday, February 24, 2014

Taro Bubble Tea


You might be able to tell from my previous posts that I love taro. So when traveling to Australia I was excited because I suspected being closer to Asia and the South Pacific there might be a greater abundance of taro flavored things. I have not been disappointed so far. On the hottest day in Brisbane so far (90's F 30's C) I took a walk to get out of our smothering un-airconditoned house to see if I could find something cold to drink. A block away from us is St. Lucia Village, a small street lined with restaurants and a grocery store. I was pleasantly surprised to find that they have a place called Box and Noodle which sells both Bubble Tea and made to order noodles. I immediately got some taro bubble tea to satisfy my milk tea and taro needs and to cool off. I'm excited to try the noodles because there are so many kinds. It seems like the kinda place my friends and I would love in St. Louis, and I'm happy it's only a block from me. There are also a ton of other restaurants on that street I'm excited to try especially the vietnamese one! 

After getting my tea I walked to campus (2 blocks from the vil and 2 blocks from our house) and read a bit in the air conditioned library to get out of the heat. It was a good move. When I left the library the sun was setting. I walked out and the air was filled with squeaks and screeches. It was deafening! I realized that the sound was coming from hundreds of flying foxes that live in the trees on campus. It was surprising, but also really cool. I love discovering all of the little differences here and will continue to do so as I'm here longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment