Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Apple Quiche


So I've been wanting to make this for awhile,  but have been trying to wait until I finish the chili first (spoiler: the chili is still not finished I made enough for me to eat it every night for 1.5 weeks). Eventually, I just decided to make this anyway. This apple quiche is based on this recipe. I basically followed this exactly but added a lot more cheese. Specifically, smoked gouda on top of the cheddar the recipe calls for. I cooked 2 large and 1 small pink lady apples on the stove in a cup of hard cider, with sprigs of rosemary. This was done for about 10 minutes or so. I mixed skim milk with 4 eggs, and whipped them together, layered phyllo dough on this pie pan, and shredded the gouda cheese. When the apples were done I poured most of them and the cider into the phyllo. Then added all the gouda and some of the cheddar, as well as some rosemary. Then I added the rest of the apples, more rosemary, and poured the egg mixture on top. The eggs sunk through, layered into the dish. Lastly I topped the entire thing with more cheddar and put it in the oven at 375 F for 35 minutes. It turned out fabulously. The cheese and apples went great together, and the cheese had kinda melted into the eggs. The cheese on top was nice and crispy. All together this was a really great dish and the best part is that you can have it for any meal of the day. I had a slice for dinner last night with a salad (below), but also had one for breakfast this morning and it was wonderful in the morning too! A really great, unique, and versatile meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment