Sooooo, I may have been craving ice cream earlier tonight. And I may have indulged in that craving, by going to the grocery store a block from our house to get an ice cream bar. But, I'm justifying it because I get to share some more Aussie food culture with you guys! So when we were at the zoo a couple of weeks ago we got ice cream bars (it's really common for snack bars/convience stores/resturants to stock ice cream bars all around Australia). I've been trying a bunch of kinds since I've been here, and besides the Milo Cups, which are actually kinda rare, I hadn't found one that I loved. That was, until the zoo. I got a Maxibon, and it changed everything! Maxibons are basically half ice cream sandwich half chocolate covered ice cream bar… so you don't have to choose! Whoever invented this was a legit genius. At the zoo I got a caramel flavored one, which I loved. But I wanted to try the other flavors as well. And today I finally got to! I tried the honeycomb one, and it was AMAZING.
So first I should explain honeycomb. The same way that there are certain flavors that people LOVE in America and they have lots of sweet products with them (i.e. peanut butter and Red Velvet) Australia has flavors like that too. Two of the most prevalent are Turkish Delight, and honeycomb. They have honeycomb chocolate bars, and of course, honeycomb ice cream (I also saw online they have honeycomb tim tams but haven't come across any here :( ). Honeycomb is great and is sometimes mixed with chocolate crunchies or caramel. In the case of the Maxibon, there were chocolate chunchies in the honeycomb flavored ice cream (see below). It was so good. I loved the combination of the chocolate crust and crunchy ice cream of the bar part (see pic below on the left), but I have to say nothing beats the cakey cookies of an ice cream sandwich, so I think I may actually have liked the sandwich part better (pics below on right), but really the best part of this ice cream is that you get both and don't have to choose a favorite!
Kinda sad I didn't get around to tasting these until the last month I was here, but at least I got to it before I left. Seriously, the inventor of this kind of ice cream bar should get a medal. Why don't we have these back in the states?!



No comments:
Post a Comment