Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Feta Chickpea Salad


I've seen a couple of vegetarian recipes that use chickpeas as a veggie substitute for tuna and chicken salads. I love chicken salad (especially my mom's), so I decided to try something along those lines but with a Mediterranean twist. I bought two cans large chicken peas (which happened to be on sale for 80 cents each!), a block of low fat feta cheese, some spinach, a capsicum and a cucumber. I drained the chickpeas, and then mixed them with the feta (chopped), 3 heaping handfuls of fresh spinach, 1/3 a cucumber (the seeds were taken out and the excess water dried), 1 chopped capsicum, and 5 chopped semidried tomatoes (also dried of oil). I mixed this together extremely well in a large bowl. When I first thought of making this recipe I was planning on either added hummus or coleslaw dressing to give it a creamer texture, turns out that wasn't necessary. The feta turned out to be a lot softer and creamier than expected and that mixed with the chickpeas being damp and soft from the can, meant that the salad had a wonderful texture without any additions. I made this with the intention of taking it to the library for lunch for the next three days, I did so today and I was the perfect thing to eat. It was portable (see below) and filling and tasted amazing. Seriously, I felt like I had made something that you would buy out of a salad case in the gourmet section of the grocery store. I was super happy with how this recipe turned out, it's something I would made for a BBQ side or bring to a potluck, full of protein and hopefully enjoyed by vegetarians and meat eaters alike!

No comments:

Post a Comment