Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Green Pie


So I STILL have phyllo dough left. This means I needed to make another dish with it. I was thinking about making spanakoptia, but instead decided to put my one twist on it. Basically I wanted to add more veggies, so I put zucchinis and artichoke hearts in as well. With three green veggies making the pie a beautiful, fresh green color, I dudded it "Green Pie." This recipe was my own invention. I sliced up three small zucchinis, chopped up 2 heaping handfuls of spinach, chopped 3/4 of a red onion, and added 1 small container of marinated artichoke hearts. I then took a block of low fat feta cheese, chopped it up and added it to the mix as well. Next 3.5 eggs were added. I mixed all of this together in a bowl with a generous amount to garlic powder and tuscan seasoning. I then poured it into a deep roasting pan that I had layered with 4 slices of phyllo dough. I closed it off on top with 2 more pieces of the dough. The I wiped it in egg whites, and put more tuscan seasoning on top. I stuck it in the oven at 375F for 45 minutes.


It turned out really well. The crust got beautifully golden-brown, and even a bit caramelized in places. I took a generous slice and dug in. It was really yummy and the three different veggies definitely all added something to the dish. I probably would add more egg, feta, and seasoning next time though. If I had a grater I would perhaps make the zucchini thinner, since I think the large chunks overpowered the other ingredients at times. A really yummy dinner though, and one I'll be eating for the next four nights since I made a ton of it!


Thoughts on this dish:
  • I would definitely add more seasoning and cheese. Also some more eggs would help it firm up a bit.
  • Like I said cut the zucchini thinner might help as well.
  • I would use some scallions next time, unfortunately you have to buy them in bulk here, and I didn't think I could use them all before going bad.
  • Also sundried tomatoes and maybe olives might also be a good addition to this pie.

Loved this idea, but I think I can work to prefect the dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment