Okay, so I had three nights in Perth and I had the same thing for dinner every night. I was staying in the CBD, and apparently most of the restaurants in the city center close at 5p. This limited my dinner options, but there was a korean restaurant called Arirang, half a block from my hostel that was open. I really like korean food so that was my choice the first night. I got it for take-away to eat back at the hostel since I was tried (in the best of ways ;)) after my wine tour (below). I ordered the kimchi fried rice vegetation style. I was pleasantly surprised to find it came with miso soup, another favorite of mine. It was the BEST kimchi fried rice I have ever tasted. I love kimchi, but unfortunately do not have a high tolerance to spicy food. So whenever I order it, it's usually a crap shoot whether or not it will be too spicy for me. This kimchi was perfect. It had the perfect amount of slow burn spiciness, but it din't overwhelm the dish. The cabbage was just sour enough to come through the spice on it's own, but also didn't overwhelm the dish. And finally, it was the perfect consistency, not too greasy! It was served with a slaw covered in zesty coleslaw dressing and I ended up mixing it into the rice. It added a bit of crunch and the slaw sauce added another dimension to the flavor. They gave me so much rice in the takeaway that I saved half of it for dinner for my second night in Perth. Then the last night I, along with my huge backpacker backpack, ate in the restaurant before heading to the airport for my red-eye flight home to Brisbane. I got some barley herbal tea to drink with the meal, and it was once again fabulous. I'm really really going to miss that dish, it was definitely a culinary highlight on my trip to WA.
No comments:
Post a Comment