Okay I've been wanted to make these since I discovered Australian savory pies. I saw on Pinterest that there is such thing as using cashews as a substitute for the creamy pie filling. So I decided to try that. I made the cashew cream by soaking 2 cups of unsalted cashews in hot water for about 15-20 minutes. Then adding it together with some seasoning and 1 cup of veggie stock. Then I blended it in a high powered mixer until it was creamy with no lumps. Then I combined carrots, celery, lentils, and sweet potato (microwave the chopped potato for 2 minutes first), with a bit of olive oil, tuscan seasoning, and garlic pepper. Then my secret ingredient! I placed a spring of rosemary on top. I then placed a top on the pan and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. At then end I broke up the spring and mixed in the rosemary so it would get into the pies.
While that was cooking I prepped the dough. I decided to use phyllo dough. This decision was made because I couldn't find pre made pie crust in the store. But the phyllo dough is healthier so I'm glad this decision was made for me. I cut it into pieces and stuffed it into the individual tins (below left). When I was finished with that, I mixed the cashew cream into the pan and cooked it with the veggies for another 2 minutes. Then I spooned the completed mixture into the prepped pies. Lastely, I covered the pies with more phyllo dough, making sure that I tucked it on top of the pie. Then I stuck the pies in the oven for 40 minutes at 375ish F. They turned out great (below right).
The cashew cream made the pie taste toasty and nutty. It got crunchy on the edges but stayed creamy in the middle. also the veggies that I picked did an awesome job go making this dinner taste like the most comforting thing ever. Also important to note that they stayed together perfectly when I took them out of the pan (this was something I was worried about). This made 18 pies!! So I'll be eating these for the next 5 days or so, but they were so yummy that I'm happy about that. They're really good warm, but also a good thing to take as a snack or lunch on the go.
Thoughts on this dish:
- The most unhealthy part of this is the cashews. Otherwise the phyllo is much better than using actual pie crust, and the veggies are really healthy. Since only 1-3 pies are supposed to be eaten at one time this recipe is actually a really nice healthy vegetarian meal.
- I loved the combination of these 3 vegetables so much that I wouldn't even they to mix and match them with others.
- What I would do is add more veggies, more celery, maybe another half of a potato, and another small carrot.
- Also another sprig of rosemary might have been needed, especially If I add more veggies next time.
- I could probably have baked these at 400F for 45 minutes, I didn't want them to burn but I think the crust could have gotten crispier.
I'm so happy that I was able to put my own spin on some authentic Aussie food. Feel like I'm settling in here.

No comments:
Post a Comment