Monday, May 26, 2014

Paniyiri Greek Festival


This weekend in South Bank there was a gigantic Greek Culture Festival. I stayed in Brisbane this weekend after two weekends of traveling, a friend and I decided to check it out for dinner on Saturday night. The festival was a combination of souvenir booths, carnival rides, live performances, and food booths run by various Greek organizations in Brisbane. We headed over to those to get some dinner. First we got some Halloumi cheese (see above left)! It was absolutely amazing, basically fried cheese but not breaded like a mozzarella stick. We each got one and ate it as we made our way over to the alcohol booth. We both got some sweet white wine (see above right), it was pretty crappy wine, but went well with the cheese and was nice to drink as we walked around. We grabbed wraps for dinner, and ate those as we watched a dance competition in the main square.


We strolled the booths for a good while, then decided it was time for some dessert. We ended up with this little beauty (above). It's called Galaktobouriko, and was basically custard wrapped in phyllo dough. It was huge and really yummy. It tasted a bit like bread pudding because the custard was very thick. The two of us shared, and agreed that it was a perfect way to end our Greekfest experience. I love being able to experience some go the fun things happening in Brisbane, it's something that I haven't really been able to do the last two months since I've been traveling, but it's nice to get to do some more of it before I leave next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment