Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Big Star


So my Mom has been trying to take me to eat at the Mexican Restaurant Big Star in Wicker Park for years now. We've always run out of time, or forgotten about it, and so we never were able to try it. However, I was in Chicago visiting my family for Rosh Hashanah last week. The timing worked perfectly because the Midwest Geobiology Symposium was being held in Chicago this weekend, so I just met the other members of my lab group in the city. I had to meet up with them on Friday evening, but I spend the rest of the day with my Mom. I love spending time with her, we always have such a nice time! We decided to finally get lunch at Big Star, then walk around Wicker Park before meeting up with a friend in the afternoon. 

Big Star is an awesome restaurant and we went on the perfect day. It's a small place with a huge outdoor seating area. It has a sit down section, and a take out window and picnic table area. We sat down to eat. We ordered guac and chips (yumm) and I got a cider. It was from somewhere I hadn't tried, Vandermill. A nice crisp Michigan cider. I liked it alot and It had 8% alcohol content, so I definitely felt the drink. For out main meal I got a sweet potato taco and a zucchini tostada. Both were good but the taco was rather spicy. The tostada definitely stole the show, and I could pick it up and eat it without it falling apart, excellent quality right there!

It was a really pleasant afternoon! The food, company, and weather made it so. I forget how much I love Chicago until I really spend some time in the city, but I'm so lucky to have grown up close to such a vibrant, amazing city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment