Okay, so there seems to exist somewhat of a pizza debate between Chicago style pizza and NY style. I think this is a really dumb argument, because Chicago Style is really more of a completely different dish. I love both kinds of pizza and I crave both separately. You don't compare a hot dog to a braut, they are different foods, both similar and both delish, but still distinct. Same thing with the pizzas.
Now that that is out of the way, growing up in Chicago I realized that my standards for deep dish are set rather high. For example, St. Louis's Pi Pizza is raved about because they have deep dish, but when I tried it I really didn't think it was that good. At first I couldn't figure out why, and then I realized my standards were really high, and none of the friends I was trying it with were from chi town.
So that takes me to my favorite deep dish pizza in the city. It's a place called Bella Bacino's which is on Wabash across the river from Trump Tower. It is the cheesiest pizza in the city and it's sooooooooo goooooood. I really only eat it once or twice a year because it's basically a pound of cheese. But my family and I love to go. The restaurant has beautiful outdoor seating in the summer. I should also note that you have to ask for a pizza menu here, they won't give you one. It's an Italian restaurant, but the pizza is what's amazing here. Pizza takes about 30 minutes to cook but it is well worth the wait.
As I mentioned in my previous post I was downtown for the Midwest Geobiology Symposium this weekend presenting research with the rest of my lab group. I suggested that we go to Bacino's for pizza and a bunch of us ended up there on Saturday night.
There were nine of us. We got three large pizzas and we had about half a pizza left. Everyone loved it! I was really happy to be able to share one of my favorite Chicago restaurants with them. We all ordered beers (I got a Dogfish pumpkin ale (see above)), and had a really good time. I think the waiter really liked our table. He brought out these bags of fresh from the oven complimentary chocolate chip cookies after the meal. That's never happened to me before, so it must be for big groups. We were stuffed but still managed to eat the amazing cookies. It was a really nice meal and it was fun sharing Bacino's with people who had never tried Chicago pizza before :D
No comments:
Post a Comment