Thursday, April 3, 2014

Avocado Deviled Eggs


So I had an avocado that I had bought last week that was about to turn and I needed to use it. Unfortunately, I had also reached the point in the week were I had almost no food left. And this week it was severe, no veggies or fruit, and no quinoa. However, what I did have a lot of were eggs, a whole cartonful! So I decided to use what I had and make deviled eggs, but instead of mayonnaise I used the much yummier and healthier avocado. Now, this was not only the first time that I made deviled eggs of any kind, but also hard boiled eggs too. I was a bit nervous that I would screw it up, but I actually did a great job if I do say so myself (see below left). I put 6 refrigerated eggs in cold water and slowly brought it to a boil. When the water was boiling rapidly, I took the pot off of the stove and put the lid on. Then I let it sit for 15 minutes. After that I cooled the eggs. Now according to my roommate this step is key. So the way I did it was by sticking the pot under cold water. I DIDN'T dump the hot water out first, I let if flow out into the sink as the cool water flowed in. Then I added some ice to further cool them down. I did this for about 10 minutes. After that I peeled them. This was the hardest step. The egg shell can be sharp and it didn't always come off in nice large pieces, and since I had 6 eggs to do it took me awhile. But is was all worth it. Every egg was perfectly cooked and beautifully yellow in the yolks (see below right).


The next step was to make the avocado filling. For this I mashed half an avocado, added the yolks from the eggs, a bit of coriander, and some garlic pepper and garlic salt (below left). I then mashed it all together until it was smooth (below right). Next I needed to get the filling into the eggs, I decided to do this by using a plastic bag. I cut one of the corners and squirted it into the hard-boiled eggs. This didn't come out quite as pretty as I expected it to, but it was cleaner than spooning it in. The result was amazing. Delicious, flavorful, and surprisingly filling. I ate 2 full eggs and 4 pieces for dinner and was full. They are also a great afternoon tea snack or good for breakfast was well. They kept well for 2 days, and were all gone by that time so I don't know if they'll last longer :P


Thoughts on this dish:

  • This is such a great and healthy alternative to an awesome and classy picnic treat.
  • I love deviled eggs because they are really versatile, morning and afternoon tea are a big thing in Australia and I'm thinking that I want to learn how to make some tea treats and then make a really nice tea for my family when I get back home (My family loves tea). 
  • I also now know how to make perfect hard-boiled eggs so I can add that to my list of ways to cook eggs: scrambled, omelet, fried, sunny side up, and hard-boiled. 
  • This is great because it has lots of protein and good fats… which are great for you in moderation
So excited to have been able to pull this off. I love that I'm slowly learning how to make more sophisticated meals that I love to eat, but never have attempted to cook before. Each victory boosts my cooking confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment