So we have a wonderful shop on the campus of UQ called the Lolly Shop. And as I mentioned before, here a lolly is a synonym for candy of any kind. Earlier this week I finally bit the bullet and went inside to check it out. Not only do they have a ton of Aussie treats like chocolate bars and Tim Tams, they also have by weight candy. This is perfect for me because it allows me to try a couple of kinds of candy for about $2, and satisfies my sweet cravings without going overboard. This time around I decided to sample some chocolate/caramel lollies (above). I got 2 with chocolate and fruit, 1 with yogurt and fruit, and the last was a caramel. I thought I was getting into something straight forward, boy was I wrong!
The first lolly I tried was an yogurt covered apricot ball. Now for some reason (perhaps maybe the name…) I expected it to be dried apricots covered in yogurt. This wasn't entirely the case. Instead, I got apricot flavored coconut covered in yogurt. It was actually kinda nice, there were chunks of real apricot in there, and the flavors blended nicely, even if it wasn't what I was expecting.
After my first lolly surprise, I should have been prepared for the next one, but alas, this was not the case. The next lolly was a chocolate covered pineapple. So I was thinking "okay this is either what it says on the tin or coconut and pineapple like the apricot one." Wrong! This lolly was pineapple flavored taffy covered in chocolate. Besides the fact that it tasted really fake, and I was super sad that I didn't get any real pineapple it wasn't bad. I actually liked the chewy texture mixed with the chocolate.
By the time I got to the chocolate covered raspberry I knew that wasn't what I was going to get. So I bit into it hoping for the best. This one was raspberry flavored jelly covered in chocolate. It was yummy, though once again fruitless. Of those three 'fruit' lollies I think I enjoyed the apricot one the most.
Lastly, I got a Jersey Caramel. It's a caramel square with cream in the middle and the concept reminded me of an American candy called a Bullseye, which I love. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed. The caramel was dry and gritty, and the cream didn't really add anything to the treat. It doesn't help that I was expecting something similar to a bullseye with chewy caramel and creamy, fluffy cream and was let down so completely.
The good news about this experiment is that I learned two important lessons about Aussie Lollies. Number one, don't compare them to U.S. treats, expectations lead to disappointments :(. And number two just because the lolly is called one thing, doesn't mean that it is actually what it says it is, so I'll be tasting with a bit more caution now. While I stuck to the chocolaty things for this test there were heaps of fruity gummy like lollies at the Lolly Shop that look really wonderful, so I'll be tasting some of those next!





No comments:
Post a Comment