Monday, April 21, 2014

Veggie Wedges: Aussie Style


So I mentioned before that here Steak Fries are called Potato Wedges. Well I decided to make them, but with a healthy twist. I cut wedges of 3 veggies that are less carb heavy than potatoes, zucchini, carrots and sweet potatoes. Then I covered them in a seasoning run. I made it using onion powder, garlic, salt, pepper, and tuscan seasoning, all with a bit of olive oil to make the spice stick. I then laid the wedges on a pan covered in aluminum foil and baked them for 45 minutes at 400 degrees F. Then I took them off the pan and prepared 2 dipping sauces. I went with the classic Aussie choices (also my own personal favorites) sweet chili and bbq. They were really great! Fun and healthy. The zucchinis soaked up the seasoning nicely, the carrots got really sweet and the sweet potatoes were the closest to actually fires. They got toasty and had the nicest crunch. Both dipping sauces were great with all the veggies. My favorite combos were the sweet potato and bbq and the carrots with sweet chili. Since these were baked and only a bit of olive oil was used these are really quite healthy. They can't beat actual fries or course, but definitely satisfy a savory craving!

Thoughts on this Dish:

  • I actually over seasoned these guys. This is the first time that I've done that too anything, but I'm taking it as a learning experience. Not every piece of the surface should be covered in seasoning and I should ease up on the onion powder and garlic. I'd actually like to make these with some fresh herbs as seasoning, for example rosemary. 
  • I should try to make the wedges more uniform so that they cook evenly. Unfortunately, this was easier said then done, because cutting in a safe manner (especially the potato) was a challenge.
  • I used a zucchini and a half, half a sweet potato, and 2 and 1/2 carrots for this.
Loved this creative treat. It would be great to make for a bbq side, maybe I could try grilling the veggies instead of baking them to make the wedges!

No comments:

Post a Comment