I'm a Wash U undergraduate student who recently moved into my first apartment, and this blog is to document my adventures with cooking. I'm a flexitarian, which in my case means I have a mostly vegetarian diet, though occasionally I do eat poultry. So, nothing on this site will have sea food or red meat in it. I'll be posting mostly about my own cooking experiences, but also about other great food I eat in St. Louis.
Monday, April 14, 2014
Minestrone Noodle Soup
I made this soup in order to finally use the vegetable stock that I saved from making the quinoa burgers. I used it to make a soup by adding about 1/4 a cup of water to 1 cup of veggie stock. I then also added garlic powder, salt, pepper, and tuscan seasoning. To the broth I then added 2 large handfuls of spinach, 1/2 a carrot, kidney beans, and finally some rice noodles. I didn't cook the noodles first I let them cook in the broth. When the noodles were done and the spinach was cooked I took the soup of the stove and transferred it into a bowl. I then topped it with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. It was a perfect filling dinner! It was really homey and comforting, and also really filling. When I sat down to eat it my housemates all looked at me funny and I joked that it was a "big ass bowl of soup." But it was so delicious that I ate it all. Also it wasn't too unhealthful, the noodles are only about 50 calories (rice noodles are really light), and the rest of the soup is just veggies. Super nice to know that I can make a soup from kinda scratch. Making stock is a very long and time consuming process, and maybe I'll attempt it some day, but I have no regrets just using store bought stock which is literally the same as what it would take me a day to make. I'd love to try this with more hearty veggies, but I was working with what I had and the combination was great. Next I want to try making vegetarian chili!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment