Okay, I am so so so proud of these and how they turned out!!!! This idea formed as I roamed the grocery store with growing exasperation in my quest to find cheap, healthy, passover-frindly snacks for my next 4 days of travel. I roamed up and down the nut and dried fruit sections looking for something to tickle my fancy. In the process, I noticed almond meal. And instantly thought of passover desserts (many are made with almond meal as a substitute for flour). And then another thought struck me. I would be fun to make passover cookies as a plan snack for me and my traveling companions. I quickly bought the almond meal, eggs, dark chocolate chips (along with a fruit and almond mix that I finally found appealing!), and headed home to start baking. I only had 4 hours before I was supposed to head to the airport so I hoped to do this quickly. With a quick check online to make sure that I wasn't totally off base with the almond meal thing, I set to making my cookies. I combined 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg in a bowl. Then I added 250g of almond meal, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. I stirred this together until I had a gooey dough. Then I added a generous helping of dark chocolate chips. Basically, until I could add no more :) I then made ball like cookies on my pan and stuck them in the oven at 400 F or 200 C for 20 minutes. This was the perfect amount of time to cook these since the outsides got crisp, but the insides stayed gooey. It's always better to cook cookies for shorter than longer in my opinion. Better underdone, than overdone! After letting them cool for an hour or so, I packed these up in a big plastic bag for the plane. They were amazing, the chocolate almond, cinnamon, and vanilla mixed perfectly. The soft and gooey insides tasted really almondy, and had a wonderful consistency. These were so yummy that I'd eat them even if it isn't passover! Really proud that I was able to improvise homemade cookies on my own, and especially so since they were special holiday cookies!
No comments:
Post a Comment