Monday, November 25, 2013

Breakfast Burrito


This masterpiece was the result of me trying to get rid of as many ingredients in our fridge as possible with one meal. I'm going home to spend Thanksgiving with my family so my goal of the past couple of days has been to clear out the fridge. So I stuffed a ton of delicious ingredients into this yummy burrito. I love breakfast burritos but they are waaayy to filling for actual breakfast, so this was a dinner. First, I cooked up a zucchini and some red onion in a pan (see below). I cooked them for awhile because both of these veggies are better really well done, it makes them sweeter. Next I poured egg beaters over the veggies and basically made scrambled eggs. While I was doing this I was also grilling a applewood smoked chicken sausage on our Hello Kitty grill. When the eggs where done I placed them on a tortilla, added some sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinaigrette (see below). I then sliced the sausage and added it to the burrito. Finally I folded it up and grilled it on Hello Kitty (see below). It was a supremely yummy dinner and really filling. It also had lots of great veggies and lots of protein. 




Thoughts on this Dish:
  • It was actually quite challenging to get everything cooked and hot at the same time, but I managed!
  • I trick for defrosting the sausage is running it under warm water before grilling
  • It was a bit challenging to get everything to stay in the burrito when I was grilling it. The balsamic kinda spilled out, not really sure how to fix this besides acquiring better folding skills…
  • I microwaved the tortilla for 5 seconds before adding things, this helped soften it and also meant that the hot ingredients wouldn't cool down quickly from a tortilla that had been siting in the fridge.
I'm very proud of this last minute creation. It was a lot of work, but a really yummy and different dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment