Sunday, November 17, 2013

Peppermint Bark Popcorn


Earlier this week I had a movie screening for one of my classes and the professor brought this cinnamon peppermint white chocolate popcorn. It was amazing, and I thought that it seemed like a fairly easy thing to make. This Saturday I got a chance to try it out. One of my friends and I had a scary movie marathon so I thought it would be a perfect chance to try the recipe.


I wanted to use a flavor profile that I knew I liked so I choose the festive chocolate peppermint one. I used white chocolate and bittersweet chocolate for this recipe. I melted each and drizzled them on the popcorn, then added crushed up candy cane bits. Then we mixed the treat and stuck it in the fridge to harden. Besides a slight microwave malfunction when we were in the middle of heating the chocolate, it was a very easy recipe to do! It was a yummy way to spice up normal popcorn, and we had a ton of extra left over.  My friend pointed out as we were making it that it reminded her of William-Sanoma's Peppermint Bark. I completely agree with her, which is why I named it thus :)


 Thoughts on this recipe:

  • I don't usually like white chocolate but I think it actually goes extremely well with popcorn, so I wanted to include it in this recipe.
  • We used buttered popcorn for this, but it might also be nice to try with kettle corn. I liked the sweet/salty that the buttered added, but the kettle might be nice too.
  • I added peppermint bits after adding the white chocolate and then also after adding the dark chocolate. This allowed the peppermint to stick to the popcorn when the chocolate was melted. 
  • We melted the chocolate for about 2:30 minutes each.
  • We stuck the popcorn in the fridge for 20 minutes. I think that in the future it actually could use at least an hour in the fridge. 

 This was such a fun thing to make and eat! It's really fun that I'm at the point where I can take inspiration for random places and actually make something out of it. Also this treat reminds me of winter, which makes me excited for the holiday cheerfulness that is on it's way!


No comments:

Post a Comment