Monday, November 25, 2013

Vegetarian Sushi at Blue Ocean Sushi


While I don't eat fish I love the concept of sushi. It's fresh, light, and healthful. Fortunately, my flexitarian diet does not totally prohibit me from the sushi experience because there are many vegetarian versions of sushi. Each sushi place has their own unique vegetarian roll, and they usually have a couple of other vegetarian rolls as well. This time around I got cucumber rolls and avocado cream cheese rolls. Some other common veggie rolls are carrot/avocado/cucumber, sweet potato, egg and green onion, tofu, and soy bean. This means I don't lack choices at sushi restaurants. Combine that with my love from soba, seaweed salad, mochi, teriyaki, and tempura, and Let's just say I really like going out for Japanese. 

Blue Ocean Sushi is located on the Delmar Loop. It's a fairly cheap, but good sushi joint. The inside is covered japanese pop culture decor and the menu is sizable. I like this place a lot but find that sometimes it gets forgotten with all of the other fantastic eateries on the loop. Fortunately, I was craving something light on Saturday, and Blue Ocean caught my eye. I was with my boyfriend and he'd already eaten so I wanted to get something light and quick, also he loves sushi so I had a feeling that if we went here and he realized he was hungry he could easily get something small (this is in fact, exactly what happened). We had a really nice meal, and I left feeling perfectly satisfied and not overfull. 


Thoughts on this restaurant:

  • They have an all you can eat sushi special that is very reasonably priced, a good place to go when you're hungry.
  • They have other classic japanese dishes on the menu if you don't feel like getting sushi
  • This place holds a special place in my heart because the first time that I went here the waitress printed "Believe in Sherlock Holmes. Moritary was Real!" on the receipt. As a fan of the Sherlock TV show this was a total geek moment for me. The time this happened I wasn't with anyone who had seen the show so I got a lot of crazy looks, but I didn't care because it was so cool! Don't believe me? There's proof below. I think I still have the receipt somewhere...

I love this restaurant, and am sad that I don't get there more often. It seems I'm always writing that when I go out to eat. I guess it's a testament to how amazing STL food is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment