Friday, December 13, 2013

Barbecue Ranch Couscous



i experimented with quinoa the other day, so this time I decided to do so with couscous. I really like couscous because it takes 2 minutes to make. However, it needs a lot of sauce, or hummus, or something to moisten it or its incredibly dry. The upside of this is that it absorbs flavors really well. This time a decided to try a barbecue flavor profile. I added black beans, red onion, and sweet peppers, all ingredients that fit the flavor well. Then I added some black bean hummus to add dimension to the couscous. Lastly I added ranch and barbecue sauce. I ended up adding more than I thought because of the amazing absorptive abilities of couscous. It turned out really well! It was flavorful and yummy. This would be a wonderful side dish with barbecue chicken or really nice on top of a salad.

Thoughts on this Dish:
  • More of a summer side dish, but its still nice in the winter as well.
  • The combination of the hummus, sauce, add ins, and grains gives this dish a really unique and textured feel. I liked that part of it more than I was expecting.
  • It's interesting because this is a grain that seems really distant from barbecue so this is a cool flavor to try for this dish. 
Once again another successful creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment