Saturday, December 14, 2013

BBQ Chicken Rolls and BBQ Bean Flatbread


These appetizers were made especially for a party that I had this friday night. It was an Ugly Sweater party and we were asked to bring food. I my inspiration for the barbecue rolls came from two places. I wanted to make spinach rolls, but didn't have ingredients, and I wanted to use my frozen BBQ chicken and tortillas. So this was the result. I used an entire pack of Trader Joe's Pulled BBQ Chicken, Masterpiece BBQ, Ranch Dressing, a bit of garlic, and this mexican cheese that my roommate has. I heated the chicken in the microwave and then added the other ingredients. Then I kept nuking it until it was melted. The cheese I was using actually took awhile to melt so it took longer than expected. I then spread the mix on the tortillas and rolled them up like spinach rolls (see below). I then put them in the fridge for half an hour before cutting them. When we got to the party we baked them at 350 for 5 minutes just to heat them up. They were amazing!!!!! This turned out so well and they were all gone fairly quickly.


I also wanted to make a vegetarian version of this to bring, but we ran out of tortillas. So I used my frozen naans instead to make flatbreads. I mixed the black beans with ranch and bbq to make a sauce base for the naans. Then I spread it on, and added cubed mexican cheese on top (see below). Once again the cheese took a long time to melt. They were in the oven for 10 minutes at 400. This ended up being a good thing because then the flatbreads were crispy. They were yummy (but not quite as good as the roll ups).


Thoughts on these apps:

  • I think I would use another cheese next time. Ideas include: cheddar, smoked gouda, and mozzarella. 
  • I would be more likely to make the roll ups again instead of the flatbreads, but I would want to try out bean ones next time.
  • I really liked the arrangement of the two dishes on the platter (see top pic). It was suggested by my boyfriend and roommate.
The party was really fun. And this ended up being the only food besides cookies and chips, so I was really glad I brought them!

No comments:

Post a Comment