This recipe was inspired by a Myrecipemagazine recipe I found on Pinterest, but I majorly tweaked the marinade. I've been wanting to do something creative to get ride of the quinoa and couscous that I have left before I leave next week, and I decided this definitely counted as creative. Basically, this recipe is done by soaking quinoa in a beautiful sweet and tart marinade of my own creation, and then adding apples, onion, and carrots to the mix. Since this is an actual original recipe I'm going to record it and the measurements here, for myself and anyone else who wants to recreate it. So my super special apple marinade is as follows (see below): 1/8 cup of balsamic vinegar, 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup of Trader Joe's Spiced Apple Cider (this is the best cider ever, its spiced to perfection!) 1/4 teaspoon of ground pepper, 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice, and 1/3 teaspoon of crushed garlic. All of that gets mixed together and then combined with the quinoa until the quinoa is cool. Then add chopped apples (I used 2 and mine were really tiny), carrots and red onion. Mix it together and chill. and done! A wonderful fall tasting apple salad. I was really pleased with how well this turned out!
Thoughts on this Recipe:
- I like using quinoa because it has a lot of protein. This makes a nice light meal or a great side dish.
- I love honey crisp apples because of their sweetness, I think they went best with the cider in this case
- I apples were starting to brown a bit after being in the fridge for a couple of hours. I making this before a meal or event I suggest springing them with lemon juice to prevent browning
Really happy with how this one went! I'll have to make it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment