Sunday, December 15, 2013

Black Bean Burger and Sautéed Veggies


I've previously raved about black bean burgers on this blog, so you should know by now that I love them. But I've never eaten them this way before. This way, is on a bed of sautéed and seasoned veggies. I sautéed spinach, red onion, sweet peppers, sundried tomatoes together (see below). I also added a bit of garlic and oregano. This made for an extremely flavorful mix. I grilled a black bean burger on Hello Kitty, and added a slice of smoked gouda on the sop. It was a wonderful dinner. Low on carbs and nicely seasoned. A weird but good combination of italian (garlic/sundried tomatoes/oregano) and southwestern (corn/beans) flavor profiles.


Thoughts on this dish:

  • Spinach cooks down!!! I tend to forget that and don't add the huge amount of spinach that I should.
  • Also spinach wilts if its sautéed too long, so I'll add it after the other veggies next time.
  • The olive oil that the sundried tomatoes were it was perfect for this, it gave the veggies a little oil so they cooked faster, but they weren't swimming.
  • I cooked them with a glass top in the pan, stirring occasionally.
  • I've finally figured out a way to prop the grill open and put the cheese on the burger on the grill so the cheese melts, but doesn't get stuck on the grill.
  • As I mentioned, a nice veggie heavy, low carb meal.
Was pleased with this one, a good way to use veggies and also very tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment