Thursday, December 19, 2013

Wash U Wok's Sesame Chicken and Eco-to-Go


Wash U Wok (the asian food station in the DUC) has daily stir fry selections. And none of them comes close to Monday's Sesame Chicken! On Mondays the line is always incredibly long. I don't know why this dish is so yummy, it just is. However, its not very healthy, hence I try not to get it very often. In fact, this year I didm't get it at all. So the last Monday of the semester I decided to indulge and get it. The stir frys here always come with rice and an egg roll or wanton, so I got the wanton. They are really good here, and yummy dipped in Mai Poi sauce. This was a really yummy meal and my last meal on campus this semester.

Another thing you might notice in the picture above is that the meal is in a plastic box. It's an Eco-to-Go Box! These boxes are an amazing waste saving program that Net Impact (one of the other sustainable clubs on campus) and a bunch of my friends helped start up last year. It's a reusable to go box program. You buy a keychain for 5 dollars and then ask for eco to go when you get your food. You then had them the keychain she you pay and the cashier takes 10 cents off of your meal! You can return the empty box at any eatery on campus, so you don't have to wash it, and they'll return your keychain. The program is wonderful. It's easy and sustainable. Also it ends up saving money. For people who buy every meal on campus it pays for itself in a week or 2 and then ends up saving a bunch of money. Also each box has compartments for food, so if you get a meal like the one pictured above its better than a cardboard box or a plate. I'm so glad that we have this on campus now and super happy to support it!

No comments:

Post a Comment