Monday, December 9, 2013

Mediterranean Frittata


This was a spur of the moment attempt to get rid of some ingredients. The idea was great, and the flavors were wonderful, this dish itself ended up lacking a bit. I made this on a complete whim and didn't use the internet for inspiration or instructions. I used an arbitrary baking time and temperature… and well, that might have been a bit ambitious. I cooked the frittata at 350 for 20 minutes. In the future I think I would cook it at 375 for 30 minutes because the top was still soggy, but the sides had a good consistency. As for ingredients, I mixed egg beaters, pre made pesto, garlic powder, and a bit of greek dressing together. I then added red peppers, sundried tomatoes, spinach, mozzarella and feta. I mixed them all together and put it in a baking pan. It was at this point I realized that I probably needed more egg beaters, so I whipped and added two eggs. The flavors of the pesto and veggies came out really well making it wonderfully seasoned and really yummy. Ultimately, a really great idea but I would make lots of alterations next time. This was truly a great cooking learning experience.


Thoughts on this Dish:

  • As mentioned try baking at 375 for 30 minutes next time.
  • Also one thing that worked really well was spraying the pan, the entire frittata popped out in one piece.
  • More cheese next time! I wanted to add goat cheese as well but we didn't have any.
  • I think I would add some milk to try and make the eggs fluffier and add volume to the dish,
  • This is best shared between 2 or 3 people, I saved some and microwaved it the next day and that worked fairly well too.
A lot of promise and a lot of good lessons learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment