Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fried Egg Sandwich


This little beauty is something that I learned how to make this summer. I've been fortunate enough to have had a bunch of field work experiences since starting college. Something I've discovered is that when you're hiking in a swamp or digging in a sinkhole or at a remote field site in the desert then a packed lunch becomes essential. And "packed lunch" is usually code for sandwich. One of the few downsides to eating vegetarian most of the time is that it makes sandwiches...hard. There are not that many options when it comes to making a variety of sandwiches, with a protein, that are different, but still vegetarian. So in order to switch it up a bit I decided to get creative by adding fried egg sandwiches to my veggie sandwich list, which before that was basically hummus sandwiches and peanut butter/banana/trail mix sandwiches (Trust me they're delicious and you feel way less guilty about the shear unhealthiness of it if you're hiking all day and need the energy).

However, one of the great things about the fried egg sandwich is that it makes a great meal at home as well as on the go. I like making these on Friday mornings/afternoon when I have class a little bit later. I can wake up late, and still have time to cook and actually sit down with my coffee instead of getting it on the way to class. This particular sandwich had spinach, sundried tomatoes, and, of course, a fried egg. Nice and simple, but sometimes simple is best.

Thoughts on this Dish:

  • This summer I had it with avocado and spinach, which was yummy. I don't have a ton of access to avocados here so thats not as easy of a combo. I've also had it bagel style with cucumbers and cream cheese. And another flavor combo I really enjoy is sweet peppers and BBQ sauce (this ones a bit messier). I'll have to experiment with these and others.
  • The bread I used are these 100 calorie sandwich thingies that my roommate discovered, they are the perfect size for a fried egg. 
  • Certain sandwiches taste better with a gooey yolk and others with a hard yolk, so different frying times based on the other ingredients in the sandwich. For example, the gooey goes well with the sundried tomato one and the avocado one. Hard is better with the cukes and cream cheese, and the BBQ can go either way.
I'll most likely be making more of these with other ingredients so be on the look for more egg sandwiches .

No comments:

Post a Comment