Friday, October 25, 2013

Peanut Butter Nutella Marshmallow Taffy



Yes this creation looks gross, but it's actually homemade candy. Inspired by my love of marshmallows and peanut butter, I one day decided to stick the two ingredients in the microwave and see what happened. The resulting dessert was a sweet peanut butter candy with the consistency of taffy. I loved it, and it became my late night sweet craving indulgence. I sometimes add Nutella as well (see above), but the peanut butter is essential for the right texture. I've experimented enough with this treat to have the formula down to an exact recipe. For this candy to turn out the ratio of the peanut butter and the marshmallows has to be just right. For a one person sized portion I use 2 marshmallows and about a tablespoon of peanut butter (pic 1 below). Nutella is optional and you can add as much as you want. It does make the consistency a bit stringier. I then stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds (pic 2 below). Then I mix up the mixture with a spoon until it has a well distributed consistency (pic 3 below). I like to knead the candy a bit to make sure this is the case. Then I enjoy my treat! it hardens fairly quickly, but then the consistency is more hard taffy-like so its still a very enjoyable treat.

                                               

Thoughts on this Dish:
  • I experimented with this a lot last year to see if I could use different ingredients to get different flavored taffies. This made me realize that peanut butter is essential for it to turn out. It doesn't have the consistency if you substitute almond butter, apple butter, carmel, or just Nutella alone. 
  • I've found that adding melted chocolate or Nutella to the peanut butter marshmallow taffy can give it different flavors but doesn't replace the peanut butter in the recipe. 
  • One of the greatest things about this recipe is that the clean up is basically nonexistent. The way that the taffy forms gathers up all the melted marshmallow and sticky peanut butter off of the sides of the bowl, so it all condenses into the candy leaving no stickiness behind (see the pictures above)
This is such an easy candy to make, but its not pretty so make it for yourself or people you aren't attempting to impress.



No comments:

Post a Comment