Saturday, October 19, 2013

Red Velvet Tea


So this is one of those times where you'll have to trust me. Trust me when I say that a brewed tea flavored "red velvet" is actually very good. I was extremely skeptical when I first tried this tea on my roommate's recommendation. It was last year at a time when I really wanted to start drinking tea but didn't like a lot of kinds yet. She knows I like sweet things, specifically sweet red velvet things, and suggested I give this one a try. I bought a can at World Market on her whim and was pleasantly surprised (see below). I'll admit that this tea was a bit of an acquired taste, but after a couple months of drinking it I realized I very much enjoyed it. It's a very nice tea to drink when I want something less sweet than my Milk Tea and caffeine free. The main ingredients in this tea are coco, vanilla, and beets. They give it both the sweetness and color of red velvet without adding anything super artificial. In my opinion the tea needs some milk to truly bring out the taste, but then it is very good. It also gives it an awesome pink color! I wouldn't be true red velvet tea if it wasn't red right? 

Some notes on this Tea:
  • I usually heat the water to around 180 degrees and let it steep for 5 minutes or so, maybe a little less. 
  • I use the color of the tea to tell how much milk to put in. For me optimum milk creates the color in the second picture on the top. 
  • I love red velvet because at its best it is subtlety's take on chocolate, and for me this tea meets that sentiment.
If you like red velvet and you like tea you should give this one a try. If you don't want to make the investment and buy the can, Argo Tea's Red Velvet Tea drink tastes identical.

No comments:

Post a Comment