Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Matcha Tea


Matcha, how I love thee. One of my friends introduced me to matcha last year. And I started craving it shortly after. Matcha is Japanese green tea extract, it does't actually taste like green tea, and it has much more caffeine. Most people have encountered it in Starbuck's Green Tea Frapiccinos, so if you've had one then you've had matcha. That's the main ingredient that they use in them to give them the flavor as well as the color. Actually matcha is a rather common ingredient in green tea flavored things. Green Tea ice cream is basically matcha ice cream. I love Trader Joe's Green Tea Mochi Ice Cream, which has matcha, and I recently tasted green tea pocky (also matcha flavored) and very much enjoyed it. I have matcha in the form of milk tea powder, similar to my regular milk tea one, but the matcha kind comes in individual packets. I like to drink it when I need a caffeine boast but don't want to drink coffee.



Another great thing to do with matcha is bake with it. I make an excellent and very much enjoyed Green Tea Cake with this matcha mix. I'll post it next time I make it (which will probably be in a few weeks for a potluck I have coming up)

Thoughts on MATCHA!!!!

  • The package pictured above is about $10 dollars on amazon and has 16 packets in it. So basically a cup of matcha tea for 63 cents each... a super good deal!
  • I brew it at 190 degrees, and I have found that a combination of stirring it very well and letting it sit for a bit is the best for getting the strongest taste. 
  • Like I said this has a good amount of natural caffeine in it, so coffee drinkers who are looking to cut back, this is a great alternative. 
  • Matcha is generally an acquired taste. Its a bit strange at first, but most people I know who try it eventually grow to love it. My mother excluded who thinks it tastes like grass...
All and all, if you haven't tried matcha you should! And keep an eye out for an upcoming post about The Famous Green Tea Cake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment