So I love veggies, and I eat a lot of them! Actually I've been finding that I have to go to the grocery store every week just to replace my veggie supply, which is another learning experience I guess. Anyway, I have found that a great thing to do at the end of the weekend or beginning of the week is to roast a ton of veggies so that I can just have quick access to roasted vegetables all week long. I usually roast sweet peppers, zucchini, red onions and white onions. I slice them all fairly finely and then toss them in olive oil and garlic powder. Then I'll lay them out on my non-stick pan and roast them for about an hour at 400 degrees. This has been such a good idea because end up eating these roasted vegetables with almost every meal until they run out. I've used them in omelets, quesadillas, sandwiches, salads, cheesy beans (one of my favorite comfort dishes), on top of black bean burgers, and also to make a nice carb free chicken sausage bowl (see below)
Some thoughts on the dish:
- The zucchini cooks faster than the peppers do. I tend to like my zucchini really well cooked so this wasn't too much of a problem, but next time I might try slicing them thicker.
- Took a bit of experimenting to see what the optimal cook time was but an hour seems to do the trick.
- Be wary of too much olive oil. If the veggies are swimming in it, it solidifies onto the pan into a icky mess.
Roasted veggies are so yummy, versatile, and healthy, I'm so glad that I can add them to my list of recipes. I'll be making more as soon as I get more vegetables from the grocery store!

No comments:
Post a Comment