Monday, October 14, 2013

Fried Teriyaki Quinoa


This was my first major success in the kitchen! This is a dish that I created on my own, and it turned out wonderful. I love fried rice, but also am super aware of my protein intake because I don't eat a lot of meat. That's why making the dish with quinoa is great! It is packed with protein, and that on top of the egg in the dish makes for a great protein rich meal. I stir-fried sweet peppers, carrots, and onion while I was waiting for the quinoa to cook, and then I combined them all with Soyaki teriyaki sauce. While that was cooking, I fried up my egg, and bingo! Everything was hot and ready to eat at the same time. A skill which I am learning to appreciate as I spend more time in the kitchen. I ended up making enough of the quinoa for about 3 meals, so I was able to microwave it and have it again for dinner later in the week. That's great for me because when I come home from class late I sometimes want something that doesn't take a lot of work.

Some future thoughts on the dish:
  • I loved it, but felt it was a bit light on the veggies, next time I might consider adding more carrots and peppers or a greater variety like zucchini or even some spinach.
  • The entire dish took be about an hour and a half to make, so its a good weekend dish, especially since it means left overs. 
  • I might want to try scrambling eggs and then adding them to the entire dish, they do that at some restaurants 

I will definitely be making this again!!

P.S. Yes, those are Lightsaber chopsticks. I am a huge Star Wars nerd and the chopsticks totally rock :)



No comments:

Post a Comment