Sunday, October 20, 2013

Spinach Rolls


This recipe is my childhood. My mom has been making these for special occasions as long as I can remember, and I've loved them for as long as I can remember. I liked spinach rolls before I actually realized I liked spinach, I think when I was old enough to realize that I'd been eating spinach in this form for years I just ignored it because spinach rolls were so tasty. Anyway, these rolls are some of my all time favorite food. I learned how to make them in high school, and they are super simple. I would make them in the dorms, and now that I have an actual kitchen its just become even easier to make these yummy apps.
The recipe is very simple. Cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, veggie dip mix, and frozen spinach. You mix it all together and then spread it on tortillas. Roll 'em up, and slice them! So this is a no cook recipe. They're bite size and perfect for a party, an appetizer before dinner, or a snack. they also keep rather well so you can eat leftovers of these for a couple of days after you make them. They're actually better the second day in my opinion.


Thoughts on this Dish:

  • I've been making these for years now so I have a lot of my own tweaks.
  • Firstly, I try to get low fat or fat free of all the ingredients to make them a bit healthier. They taste the same and it makes me less guilty about chowing down on these.
  • I like to pop the frozen spinach in the microwave for 3 minutes or so, so that it is defrosted. It tends to heat unevenly though, so I have to watch out when I'm squeezing the water out of it because sometimes its scalding. 
  • Quite by accident I realized that Feria Del Sabor tortillas are the best for this recipe. They don't crack as much and are easier to roll. They also don't get soggy and the tortillas don't have to be refrigerated.
  • Also pick the peas out of the veggie mix!!!! First of all peas are gross, sorry if you disagree. But even if you like peas normally in this case its very true. They are hard freeze dried peas, and will stay that way in the tortillas making them impossible to slice, and icky if you get a crunchy pea in one of the rolls. Seriously, the peas ruin the recipe.
  • When you initially roll them stick them in the fridge for half and hour before trying to cut them. This allows the rolls to harden up and little and results in nice easy cutting instead of a falling apart mess. Trust me, I've done it before. 
Actually the ease of this delicious recipe made me realize that cooking does not have to be hard and time consuming to be yummy. I've made this for lots of my friends and almost every one of them loves it!

No comments:

Post a Comment