Momo's is one of my favorites in STL. Last year I was challenged to find a greek restaurant for my friends and I to eat at, and after a bit of research I found Momo's. Momo's is a bar and restaurant that is on North & South Blvd. about a block north of Delmar. It's menu is greek small plates, so that makes it cheap for us college students. Its also really awesome authentic food! However, I fell in love with the falafel (at the bottom) the first time I had it. It's greek style patties, and served in a pita with all the fixings. And can never bring myself to order anything else when I go, despite wanting to try half the menu. Solution? I brought my family. We love small plates style restaurants where we can share and try, and I wanted to share a place that I frequent with them. So my family and roommate went to Momo's the Saturday night of their visit. It was a success! We tried a bunch of dishes. One of our favorites was the saganaki (below), the flaming cheese, which is basically I huge lemony mozzarella stick. And they light it on fire! What's not to like?
We also ordered a lot of other things. Vegetarian wise we got goat cheese (top), eggplant fries, spanakopia, hummus, chickpea red pepper feta cakes, on top of the saganaki and falafel. For the the meat eaters we got sausage and polenta, bacon wrapped olives (top), and grilled octopus. Some of the highlights of the meal were the saganaki, dipping the eggplant fries IN the goat cheese, and the chickpea red pepper feta cakes which were so flavorful they surprised me by being my favorite dish of the night. Apparently the sausage polenta was also extremely yummy according to my roommate and my family.
Thoughts on Momo's
- I love Greek food and I'm so happy to have an easy and inexpensive local place to go!
- This place is normally packed, but we were there on the night of game 2 of the Word Series. With the Cardinals in it this year that meant that many people were at the game or down town at the bars so it was really empty. But normally you need a reservation if you don't want to wait on a friday or saturday night.
- They also have a belly dancer... so don't be surprised when she appears
- This is one of those "small plates" places that actually serves fairly large portions anyway, but they still price their mezzes like small plates. That's why you can get a really decently priced and filling meal here if you don't try the complete sharing experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment