One of my favorite things to eat at Wash U was the made to order quesadillas at Ursa's, a late night restaurant by the dorms named after one of my favorite constellations (actually most Wash U eateries have a bear-themed word play since that is out mascot). But this year I have not had them at all. There are 2 reasons for this. The first is that I don't live on campus anymore and the second is that Ursa's changed its menu. I think I speak for much of the student body when I say those quesadillas will be missed. Fortunately, Hello Kitty (our aptly named panini press and all purpose grill) means that I can recreate Ursa's quesadillas in my apartment. Like lots of my recipes this can be made with different ingredients and flavor combinations. This time I did a BBQ-ranch one, with my grilled veggies, spinach, mozzarella cheese and kidney beans. This turned out perfectly. Quesadillas are great for when you are craving something hot and salty, but it you stick veggies and protein in them they actually make a pretty decent meal.
Thoughts on this Dish:
- I use one tortilla and fold it over (see above).
- I can stuff it fairly full because Hello Kitty does a really great job of melting the cheese evenly and keeping the whole thing together (look at those beautiful grill lines!)
- I also like making Caprease Quesadillas (stole the name from Ursa's) they have tomatoes, spinach, basil, and mozzarella. I like to add Red Wine Vinaigrette and sun-dried tomatoes as well.
- I like to make these with my Trader Joe's BBQ chicken, but beans are good for protein if I want to keep it vegetarian.
- I cut it with a sharp knife to make sure I get nice put together pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment