Saturday, October 19, 2013

Spinach Burgers



This recipe is one that I absolutely love to make. I find that veggie burgers are much better if they are identified by one specific ingredient. I've had amazing back bean burgers, taro burgers, and spinach burgers, but never had I had a truly exceptional burger that was labelled the ambiguous "veggie" burger. It might be because the iffy "veggie" burgers are a product that's sole purpose is to intimidate meat, rather then be flavorful on its own. When an identifying adjective is attached to a veggie burger it becomes its own distinct entity. My spinach burgers are no exception. They were the first Pinterest inspired recipe that I tried, and they were a success. 

Spinach burgers are the simple combination of chopped spinach, chopped onions, shredded cheese, garlic powered, salt, egg, and panko bread crumbs. I mix them together in a bowl and make patties that I then cook in a pan. Unlike other burgers, the cooked egg is what keeps them together so the most difficult part of this recipe is actually shaping the patties. I usually plop a ball of the mix in the pan and squish it flat in the pan itself. I make anywhere from 3 to 6 patties at a time, they can easily be reheated in the microwave. They are flavorful enough to be eaten on their own, but I like to add either balsamic or red wine vinaigrette dressing. This time around I ate one on a sandwich thin with tomato basil hummus and red wine vinaigrette (see below). It was delicious!!

Thoughts on this Dish:
  • This one takes about 20 minutes or so to make, more if I make more patties since I have to cook each separately.
  • This might be a good dish for a potluck since its easy to reheat (I have a lot of vegetarian friends, and we tend to do vegetarian potlucks...)
  • I should probably cook the patties for at least 3 min before I try to flip them, I need to make sure they are firm enough to not fall apart at the flip. 
  • The original egg recipe call for 3x as much egg whites as yolk, but this time around I made them with equivalent parts white and yolk (I didn't want to waste the yolks) and they turned out just as good. 
  • I ate a second patty the next day with my sweet and spicy sauce and it was very yummy, these will be fun to experiment with different condiments. I bet they would be good with teriyaki and pineapple...
One of my favorite recipes!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment