I'm a Wash U undergraduate student who recently moved into my first apartment, and this blog is to document my adventures with cooking. I'm a flexitarian, which in my case means I have a mostly vegetarian diet, though occasionally I do eat poultry. So, nothing on this site will have sea food or red meat in it. I'll be posting mostly about my own cooking experiences, but also about other great food I eat in St. Louis.
Monday, March 31, 2014
Damper
This is another fun authentic Aussie food experience that we had on our trip to Brisbane Forest Park. Damper is basically traditional Aussie bush bread. It's the kind of thing that bushman, ranchers, and anyone who was going out into the bush would take with them. It's self rising flour with water, cooked into bread. It tastes like dense thick flourly bread. It's basically a cross between bread and scones (so American biscuits but Aussie scones), and they eat it with jam and honey. I had two pieces with jam and was extremely full. So full that I saved the pasta I packed for lunch as a later afternoon snack. I can see why this is good for the bush: filling, easy, and keeps well for a long time. I might try making some of it later, it seems pretty easy and I've been wanting to try to make some Aussie food!
Labels:
Aussie Food,
Brisbane,
Snack,
Vegetarian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment