I love roasted tomatoes, so I decided to try making stuffed tomatoes and then roasting them to make a tasty dinner. I decided to use the left over greek salad that I had made the other day as the stuffing. This salad had capsicum, artichoke hearts, red onion, cucumbers, sundried tomatoes, and feta. I took two small tomatoes and I cut off the tops and then hollowed them out (left below), I took a pan and layered it with aluminum foil. Then I stuffed in as much greek salad as I could (right below). Next I stuck them in the oven at 360 for about 18 minutes. This allowed the tomatoes to get sweet and the skin to get crispy and start to break. I then enjoyed my meal. And boy was it good!! I felt like I was at a fancy restaurant!! The veggies and cheese on the top got browned and melty and the tomatoes got very sweet. It was really messy to eat, but really enjoyable!!! I will definitely be making another stuffed tomato creation with my remaining two tomatoes.
- This is such a wonderful and filling vegetarian meal. To make it more protein filled I'm thinking of trying beans, hummus, quinoa, or/and tofu as a base for a stuffing next time.
- The cucumbers added a nice crunch but didn't cook very well, I'll use zucchini next time.
- I could do this with a bunch of different flavor profiles, so I have lots of options. Some potential options are bbq ranch, teriyaki pineapple, sweet pepper, goat cheese and shallot, spinach and cheese, balsamic, and pesto. These would be the main flavors with a combination of veggies and proteins that I listed above.
- I would probably cook these a full 20 minutes to ensure that the middle is hot, when it's time to chow down.
- I need to be careful next time to not ripe the side of the tomato when I'm taking out the gunk.
- Another cool idea is to put an egg in the tomato with some spices and bake it!
This is my favorite recipe in a very long time. Filling, hot, and extremely healthy, as well as very versatile. I loved this dish!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment