Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Flat White at Darwin's


So iced coffee is not the only coffee difference here. They don't have American style black coffee here, just expresso shots. So therefore, I've had to get familiar with the different Australian coffee terminology. They have something called a Long Black, which is similar to an americano, water added to expresso. I've usually hated americano's back home because they are watery and not strong, so I haven't gotten a long black here. However, I'm told that they are stronger than an americano, so I might have to try one eventually. What I have been getting here is something called a Flat White. A flat white is basically a latte without any foam. They have lattes here, but they have twice as much foam as American lattes so a flat white is actually closer to an american latte. I've actually really been enjoying getting these as my coffee on campus. And my favorite place to get them so far has been a cafe called Darwin's. The reason I like it is because it is clever. The cafe is named after the famous biologist, resides in the biological sciences library, and has a finch as it's mascot ( for those who don't know Darwin's Finches refers to the galapagos finches that he used to form his theory of natural selection). The science nerd in me is made very happy by this cafe and the coffee lover loves the coffee here. At first it was a bit hard to get used to the Australian way of doing coffee, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment