This was a wonderful Idea that was poorly executed. I noticed when I was making a quesadilla in the microwave the other day that the rye tortillas that I have here get really crunchy on the ends because they are so thin. This got me thinking that If I cut them into strips and then microwaved them they would make great, low cal chips. I tried this, and low and behold it worked amazingly!!! However, then I got ambitious. I decided to make nachos with these homemade chips. I layered chips, mild salsa, shredded mozzarella, and kidney beans (for some reason there are absolutely no black beans in Australia, so I'm just using kidneys for everything now). I then microwaved it again to melt the cheese and heat the beans and salsa. The flavors tasted really good together, but the texture suffered. The chips didn't hold their crunch under the soggy toppings so it turned into tortilla strip nachos. One of my housemates suggested that I just make the chips and dip them instead. It was good advice, I did that a couple of days later with the salsa and it was a much better way to eat my homemade chips.
Thoughts on these Chips:
- One of the things I love about these rye tortillas is that they are 69 cal each, so if I make chips from one tortilla it is an awesome way to do portion control for chips. Also they aren't fried so they are much healthier.
- This is better for me than having a bag of chips around because it's super hard to stop once you start eating chips!
- Also I love rye stuff, so rye tortillas are really tasty!
Love these chips and I'll be sad when I go back to the states and can no longer find this brand of tortilla.
No comments:
Post a Comment