I'm a Wash U undergraduate student who recently moved into my first apartment, and this blog is to document my adventures with cooking. I'm a flexitarian, which in my case means I have a mostly vegetarian diet, though occasionally I do eat poultry. So, nothing on this site will have sea food or red meat in it. I'll be posting mostly about my own cooking experiences, but also about other great food I eat in St. Louis.
Sunday, March 2, 2014
Vermicelli Salad
When I was at the grocery store last week I found the specialty food section. This was great because I finally found in bulk non-flavored quinoa, but it was also bad because I found lots of other fun things to buy. For example, they had matcha powder, so inevitably I had to buy it. Which is exciting because I can drink it instead of coffee in the morning, but was also expensive. Another fun thing that I bought was vermicelli noodles. I love these guys. They are thin rice noodles that are found in lots of asian food dishes, but specifically vietnamese ones. Fortunately, these were pretty cheap. I decided that I would try them out by making noodle salad. I cooked the noodles in hot water and then let rinsed them with cold water. I then combined them with slivered carrots, capsicum (red pepper I'm using the Australian name now), cucumber, and raw spinach. I then mixed rice vinegar, mai poy sweet chili sauce and garlic salt together and used it as a marinade for the veggies and vermicelli. After I mixed it all together I let it sit in the fridge for have an hour and ate it chilled. I was really yummy and the noodles cold were perfection. However, next time I need to use less vinegar, it was way to acidic. I should probably use 2x as much mai poy than vinegar instead of the other way around which is what I did this time. I would also like to make soup with vermicelli in it as well, but I really like these noodles chilled so I'm going to try that again too. I enough noodles for about 4 dishes, so I have lots of options.
Labels:
Brisbane,
My Cooking,
Vegetarian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment