Sunday, March 2, 2014

Tomato Basil Veggie Quinoa


My first major cooking attempt in Brisbane was something I love to cook and know how to: quinoa! I have made a ton of quinoa dishes and have waxed on and on about why I love the grain, so I won't bore you with a repeat about the dish itself, rather I'll take about the differences making it here. Firstly, if is super hard to find quinoa here. I had to look at two different grocery stores before I could find any, and then when I did I only found these 2 person serving flavored packs, that were incredibly expensive. I bought one for the time being, tomato basil flavored, and decided to make it last week. Preparation was the same, but without the cold water rinse (didm't want to get rid of the flavoring). I decided to make it with sautéed veggies. So I sliced some zucchini and capsicum, and sautéed them in a pan with some spices and olive oil. I also added spinach to the quinoa while it was sitting, like I do with my Mediterranean couscous, which steams the spinach. When the quinoa was done I added the veggies and mixed it all together. Dinner, done. As simple and easy as it is at home. Unfortunately, more expensive. The IGA market which is a block from me here has really expensive produce, but the Cole's which is a bus ride away has cheaper fresh stuff. So, in a pinch I will grab it from the more expensive store, but since I basically subsist on veggies it ends up being worth the trip. There are also farmers markets in the West End on the weekend which I missed out on this week, but am determined to get to at some point during my time here!

No comments:

Post a Comment