I'm a Wash U undergraduate student who recently moved into my first apartment, and this blog is to document my adventures with cooking. I'm a flexitarian, which in my case means I have a mostly vegetarian diet, though occasionally I do eat poultry. So, nothing on this site will have sea food or red meat in it. I'll be posting mostly about my own cooking experiences, but also about other great food I eat in St. Louis.
Sunday, March 2, 2014
Spicy Pumpkin Dip and Capsicum
I love trying different dips because they are a fun an healthy thing to eat with veggies. And I love eating veggies. So when I saw a PUMPKIN dip at the grocery store I had to try it. As I posted about before pumpkins are different in Australia (see the pic on the cap above) so taste a bit more like squash. However, this difference did not keep me for enjoying this dip. It was basically hummus with pumpkin and a couple of spices in it. It was quite good. I dipped sliced carrots (no baby carrots in Australia) and red peppers in it. Now red peppers are one of the first foods that I discovered they have a completely different name for here. Bell peppers are call capsicum, and peppers are spicy peppers. I actually like this terminology because it quickly distinguishes between the two with no confusion.
So ultimately, while this post does highlight a yummy snack, it is actually more about how terminology is different here. Some food here has the same names, but is actually something completely different (pumpkin, iced coffee), or it is the same food but has a different name (capsicum). It really highlights that even though I'm in a country that speaks the same language there are still a lot of differences in terminology and meaning. I've actually started completely changing some of the words I use because otherwise people have no clue what I'm talking about. For example, college is uni. My uni is Wash U, if I say college people get really confused because college means dorm here. So, while I probably won't come back with an Aussie accent, I will likely have to recondition myself to refer to certain things the American way.
Labels:
5 min or less,
Aussie Food,
Brisbane,
PUMPKIN,
Snack,
Vegetarian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment